Thursday, March 17, 2011

Countdown to Opening Day: #5 San Francisco Giants

By Andrew Marcus
Sportswriter for Montgomery Media
Follow me on Twitter @amarcus515
















To help pass the time between now and the start of the 2011 Major League Baseball season I am going to be examining a different team every day. Starting with the Pirates, working toward the Phillies. I will give you my projected starters, breakout and bust players, biggest spring training question and top prospect

PROJECTED LINEUP
CF Andres Torres
SS Miguel Tejada
1B Aubrey Huff
C Buster Posey
3B Pablo Sandoval
RF Cody Ross
LF Pat Burrell
2B Freddy Sanchez
P Tim Lincecum

PROJECTED ROTATION
Tim Lincecum
Matt Cain
Jonathan Sanchez
Madison Bumgarner
Barry Zito

PROJECTED BULLPEN
Closer - Brian Wilson
Set-up - Sergio Romo

Top Prospect - Brandon Belt (1B/OF)

Breakout
Brandon Belt - I could have put Pat Burrell or Cody Ross as my bust, but instead I will make the guy who steals their at-bats my breakout. Brandon Belt hit over three levels of minor league ball last season, continued in the Arizona Fall League and he is now considered one of the best prospects in baseball. Don't expect power right away, especially in San Fran, but he should hit behind Posey for years to come.

Bust
Buster Posey - Speaking of Posey. I am not saying he has such a bad season he is back in the minors, but everyone talks about him like he is the next Mike Piazza. I need to see another season before I even put him in the same tier as Joe Mauer. I think he will struggle at times during his sophomore season and his overall numbers will be nothing to brag about.

Biggest Spring Training Question
The hardest thing to do in sports - It was one thing when you had to win four games back in the day, but to repeat this day and age is nearly impossible. A National League team has not won back-to-backs since the Reds and the Giants will be faced with the toughest challenge in all of sports. Winning the World Series in consecutive seasons.

LAST YEAR'S RECORD: 92-70

PROJECTED FINISH: 1st in the National League West


Can Wilson and Giants close out another season on top?

***THANKS FOR READING MY TEAM BY TEAM OUTLOOKS TO HELP PASS THE TIME

Check back tomorrow for the Minnesota Twins

No comments:

Post a Comment